May 6, 2023
May 7, 2023
This two-day course will present the Mulligan approach to manual therapy for the Cervical and Thoracic spine as well as for the upper extremity.
- PTs and PTAs will receive 15 CEU’s for those holding license in the state of Florida through CE Broker. For those residing outside of the state of Florida, please contact your state governing board to determine reciprocity for your state. All forms required to submit individually for CEU’s can be found on this website under Courses/CEU’s.
- ATs will receive 13 CEUs from the NATA Board of Certification CEU Provider P3566
Spinal and Peripheral Manual Therapy Treatment Techniques For Upper Quarter
This two-day course will present the Mulligan approach to manual therapy for the Cervical and Thoracic spine as well as for the upper extremity. It will include lecture, patient demonstrations, and extensive lab time to give the participants a thorough and in depth coverage of the Mobilization With Movement™ approach for the upper quarter. This unique approach to manual therapy was discovered and developed by Brian Mulligan F.N.Z.S.P. (Hon), Dip. M.T. from Wellington, New Zealand. This simple yet effective manual therapy approach addresses the patient directly based on their functional impairments by combining aspects of pain neuroscience education, therapeutic alliance, and current research utilizing symptom free techniques for restoration of function and abolition of pain. Shortcode
By the end of the course the participant will be able to accurately:
- List 3 key manual components of Mobilization With Movement™ for the treatment of upper quarter.
- Demonstrate 3 shoulder MWM techniques for shoulder elevation impairment.
- Demonstrate 2 elbow MWM techniques for loss of motion and tennis elbow.
- List 2 indications for wrist/hand taping procedures for the proximal row of carpals and the metacarpals to reinforce an MWM technique.
- Demonstrate 3 key variables that may need to be modified for pain-free effective MWM of the upper extremity, cervical and thoracic spine.
- Demonstrate 3 manual upper cervical techniques used for the alleviation of cervicogenic headaches
- Demonstrate 3 manual upper cervical techniques used for the alleviation of cervicogenic dizziness
- Demonstrate central and unilateral manual SNAG techniques for the pain-free improvement of cervical and thoracic ROM.
- Cite at least 2 RCT studies that support cervical snags for headaches and dizziness
- Cite at least 2 RCT studies that support the MWM approach to Tennis elbow
- Integrate one combined shoulder MWM and cervical SNAG when presented with a persistent cervical / shoulder musculoskeletal dysfunctional pattern.
Instruction in the MWM concept with lecture, demonstration and lab practice
Two Day Course 8:00AM – 4:00PM
- 8:00-9:00 Introduction, case report, theory and pre test
- 9:00-9:30 Hand demonstration and lab practice: IP, MCP, Metacarpals, Carpals, and taping techniques
- 9:30-10:00 Wrist demonstration and lab practice: MWMs for flexion, extension, supination, pronation, and taping
- 10:00-10:15 Break time
- 10:15-12:00 Cervical demonstration and lab practice: NAGs, Reverse NAGs, SNAGs for rotation.
- 12:00-1:00 Lunch
- 1:00- 2:00 Cervical demonstration and lab practice: SNAGS for flexion, extension, rotation, SB, HEP techniques
- 2:00-2:15 Upper Cervical: Lecture: evidence for eval / Rx of upper cervical pain, headaches and cervicogenic dizziness.
- 2:15-2:30 Headache/Upper Cervical: demonstration and lab practice: assessment and treatment techniques
- 2:30- 2:45 Break time
- 2:45- 4:00 Upper Cervical lab practice for Headache/Cervicogenic Dizziness treatments continued
- 8:00-10:00 Cervical demonstration & lab practice: traction techniques, Positional SNAGs, Spinal Mob w Arm Mvmt
- 10:00-10:15 Break time
- 10:15-11:30 Elbow demonstration and lab practice: flexion, extension, proximal radioulnar jt, tennis elbow, HEP
- 11:30-12:00 Shoulder demonstration and lab practice: manual and belt MWMs for elevation
- 12:00-1:00 Lunch
- 1:00- 2:30 Shoulder demonstration and lab practice: IR, ER, functional activities, HEP Acromioclavicular jt demonstration and lab practice: MWMs, and taping
- 2:30- 2:45 Break time
- 2:45- 3:30 Ribs demonstration and lab practice: MWMs for ribs 1-12; Thoracic demonstration and lab practice: SNAGs for rotation, flexion, SB, extension
- 3:30-4:00 Review, Post Test and Closing
Wear loose, comfortable lab clothes. Bring mobilization belts, mobilization pads, if available.
To facilitate your learning and preparation for the course, it is recommended that you purchase a mobilization belt, contact pad, and Brian Mulligan’s 7th edition textbook. Other tools to facilitate learning include video tutorials of the techniques presented in the courses. Click the product links below for information and purchase.
Individual Participant Cancellation Policy:All cancellations must be submitted with written notice and received 14 days prior to the course date. Refunds, minus an administrative fee of $50.00, are provided if cancellation is received in this timeframe. No refunds will be issued if notice is received less than 14 days before the course. If written notice is provided at any time prior to the start of the course, or within 1 week after, full course tuition may be transferred to another Mulligan Concept ™ course within 1 year without the administrative fee. Mulligan Concept ™ Teacher’s Association (MCTA) Right to cancel: The MCTA and its teachers reserve the right to cancel any course prior to the course date due to insufficient enrollment or unforeseen circumstances. In the unlikely event that this should occur, individual tuition fees will be returned in full (though life can be unpredictable, we will do everything in our power to avoid such a cancellation < 28 days before the course). However, the NA-MCTA and its teachers will not be held responsible for airline tickets, hotel reservations, or any other travel or personal expenses incurred by the registrant. The NA-MCTA will make every attempt to contact you as soon as possible in the event a course must be canceled. Please consider this policy before making your travel arrangements.
Host Cancellation Policy:In the event that the host facility must cancel, 4 weeks notice must be given in writing to the course instructor. This will allow sufficient time to notify all registered participants.
Eric M. Dinkins – PT, MSPT, DPT, OCS, Cert. MT, MCTA, CMP, CDN, CII
Eric is a graduate from the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center and has been practicing since 2001. He has earned post-graduate certifications in Manipulative Therapy and is a Certified Mulligan Practitioner with the Mulligan Concept ™ of manual therapy. In 2014 he earned his Board Certification as an Orthopedic Clinical Specialist through the American Physical Therapy Association. Eric is also proud to be part of the teaching faculty for Select Medical Corporation, Northeast seminars, and Motion Guidance LLC.
Eric has an extensive sports medicine background, has worked closely with physicians from the Steadman-Hawkins Clinic in Denver, and has treated athletes from youth, to Olympic, and professional levels. He is a published author and was a key-note speaker at the International Mulligan Conference in 2009. Other clinical interests include treatments for Restless Legs Syndrome and utilizing the Motion Guidance system to improve visual feedback in rehabilitation. When not practicing, Eric enjoys spending time with his family, mountain biking, and playing guitar.
Airport : Miami International Airport
Hotel Options :
Student Reviews & Testimonials
“Eric was absolutely excellent…. energetic, funny, hilarious, clear, easy to follow, great techniques… a great balance of informative, knowledgeable and fun. Really great guy who clearly loves what he does because he’s so good at it”.
“Honestly, most enjoyable con-ed I’ve attended to date….very clear, helpful, dynamic, thorough and funny….. maintained the interest in the class. Did not let it get boring”.
“Proved the technique was effective practically and by supporting it with evidence and research articles…. very relevant and gave many clinical pearls”.
“Well versed in the subject material….One of the best courses I’ve taken. I became a better clinician and look forward to using the new material in practice. Thank you!”
Click to Register