New York, NY/ The Mulligan Concept™ Upper Quadrant Course
Oct 1, 2022 @ 8:00 am – Oct 2, 2022 @ 3:30 pm EST
This two-day course will present the Mulligan approach to manual therapy for the Cervical and Thoracic spine as well as for the upper extremity.
- Northeast Seminars (BOC AP#P498) is approved by the Board of Certification, Inc. to provide continuing education to Athletic Trainers. This program is eligible for a maximum of 13 Category A hours/CEUs. ATs should claim only those hours actually spent in the educational program.
- Approved for 13 CE hours for PTs and PTAs covering the following states AL, AZ, AR, DE, HI, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, ME, MA, MI, MT, NE, NH, NY, NC, ND, OR, SC, SD, UT, VT, WA, WI, WY
- Certificate of attendance is provided for Continuing Education (CE) credits, 13 hours
This course will include lecture, patient demonstrations, and lab time to give the participants a thorough and in depth coverage of the Mobilization With Movement™ approach for the upper quarter. This unique approach to manual therapy was discovered and developed by Brian Mulligan F.N.Z.S.P. (Hon), Dip. M.T. from Wellington, New Zealand. This simple yet effective manual approach addresses musculoskeletal disorders with pain free manual joint “repositioning” techniques for restoration of function and abolition of pain.
- List 3 key manual components of Mobilization With Movement™ for the treatment of upper quarter.
- Demonstrate 3 shoulder MWM techniques for shoulder elevation impairment.
- Demonstrate 2 elbow MWM techniques for loss of motion and tennis elbow.
- List 2 indications for wrist/hand taping procedures for the proximal row of carpals and the metacarpals to reinforce an MWM technique.
- Demonstrate 3 key variables that may need to be modified for pain-free effective MWM of the upper extremity, cervical and thoracic spine.
- Demonstrate 3 manual upper cervical techniques used for the alleviation of cervicogenic headaches
- Demonstrate 3 manual upper cervical techniques used for the alleviation of cervicogenic dizziness
- Demonstrate central and unilateral manual SNAG techniques for the pain-free improvement of cervical and thoracic ROM.
- Cite at least 2 RCT studies that support cervical snags for headaches and dizziness
- Cite at least 2 RCT studies that support the MWM approach to Tennis elbow
- Integrate one combined shoulder MWM and cervical SNAG when presented with a persistent cervical / shoulder musculoskeletal dysfunctional pattern
8:00-9:00 Sign in and Registration. Pre-test. Introduction, theory, guidelines for practical application of Mobilization With Movement (MWM’s): CROCKS and PILL.
9:00-9:30 Hand demonstration and lab practice: IP, MCP, Metacarpals, Carpals, and taping techniques.
9:30-10:00 Literature evidence for evaluation and treatment of Wrist. Demonstration and lab practice: MWMs for flexion, extension, supination, pronation, and taping.
10:00-10:15 Break time
10:15-12:00 Cervical demonstration and lab practice: Natural Apophyseal Glides (NAGs), Reverse NAGs, Sustained Natural Apophyseal Glides (SNAGs).
1:00- 2:00 Cervical demonstration and lab practice: SNAGs continued. Self-SNAGS/HEP/Self management.
2:00-2:30 Upper Cervical lecture: evidence for evaluation and assessment of Upper Cervical pain, mobility loss, headaches and cervicogenic dizziness.
2:30- 2:45 Break time
2:45- 4:30 Upper Cervical lab practice for Headache/Cervicogenic Dizziness and pain/Mobility loss.
7:30-9:30 Review of Day 1 topics and treatments. CMP exam requirements. Cervical demonstration & lab practice: traction techniques, Transverse SNAG’s (Positional SNAGS’s), Spinal Mobilization with Arm Movement.
9:30-9:45 Break time
9:45-11:00 Elbow demonstration and lab practice, HEP/ patient self-management strategies.
11:00-12:00 Literature evidence for evaluation and treatment of the Shoulder. Demonstration and lab practice.
1:00- 2:00 Shoulder demonstration and lab practice continued to include the Acromioclavicular joint and Scapulothoracic area: MWM, HEP/self management.
2:00- 2:15 Break time
2:15- 3:00 Rib and Thoracic demonstration and lab practice: MWM for the ribs and thoracic.
3:00 – 3:30 Review, Post Test and Closing
To facilitate your learning and preparation for the course, it is recommended that you purchase a mobilization belt, foam mobilization pads or contact pads, and Brian Mulligan’s 7th edition textbook.
– Wear loose, comfortable lab clothing (with long hair pulled back)
– Bring your copy of the text, a small hand towel and a Mulligan NAGS & SNAGS Mobilization belt.
– Foam mobilization pads or contact pads are recommended.
Dr. Mikos established Quinnipiac Physical Therapy in 1996 with a focus on providing the most comprehensive approach to manual therapy in the region. He received his Bachelor’s Degree in Physical Therapy from Northeastern University in 1990 and then went on to receive his Doctorate Degree in Chiropractic from University of Bridgeport College of Chiropractic in 1996. In 1998, David became an accredited teacher in the Mulligan Concept ® Teachers Association, which teaches a non-thrust mobilization technique emphasizing immediate restoration of pain free movement. David has continued to teach this concept nationally.
Pay only $499.00
Early bird price available until September 1, 2022 – BUY NOW